Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Girlfriend Getaways

I just back from a long weekend in Cleveland, OH. Not the warmest place to go in Jan, but that is where my sister-in-law, husband, and nieces live, so Jay and I made the trek. There was lots of playing, screaming, running around, laughing, and temper tantrums to last me for a long, long time!

During one semi-quiet afternoon we got to talking about vacations and how my sister-in-law couldn't relate to the fact that I take vacations with my girlfriends, my mom, or even by myself. She's never taken a vacation without her husband and it seemed odd to her why someone would go on holiday without their significant other. I, of course, come from the opposite spectrum where I couldn't imagine not taking a long weekend to the spa with my girls, or a mexican getaway with my mom, or even a yoga retreat by myself. These weekends make for fabulous memories and serious bonding time with myself and the women in my life. I wouldn't give these up for a million bucks!

Not only do these vacations solidify the strong bond we have with each other, but also it gives us time to share stories, get advice, and most of all have fun!  Here are some great girl getaways for every age. Do you have a favorite girlfriend getaway? I would love to hear about it.

The Quick Weekender: Vegas Style
What better place to take a quick weekend off with your girls, than Las Vegas, Nevada. Sin City is the ultimate for a weekend romp. The obvious hotel choices are there but I love to stay at Mandalay Bay's THE HOTEL. This all suite hotel offers a posh atmosphere without the Vegas cheese. Check out Cirque Du Soleil's O at the Bellagio or their Beatles LOVE show at the Mirage. There are too many restaurants to name but I've always loved Tao in the Venetian or Aureole in the Mandalay Bay. Hang around late night as Tao becomes a club or hit ghostbar at The Palms. And don't forget the shopping!













The Ultimate Week with Mom: Riviera Maya, Mexico
I have stayed at several places in and around the Riviera Maya and nothing beats the Royal Hideaway Playacar. It's the ultimate in all inclusive. For me, when I hear those two words, all inclusive, I think cheap. This is definitely not the case at the adult only Royal Hideaway. Each room is set in a villa and each villa has a personal concierge. They help you make reservations at the 7 different restaurants (my fave is Las Ventanas) and any other activities you may want to partake in while you are there. They also have a wonderful high tea service which my mom and I took full advantage of. The only real catch with this resort is the beach. A major hurricane hit the area several years ago and took out a bunch of hotels and area beaches. The beach is nice and private but it is very small. Snag yourself a seat in the morning or opt to sit poolside.






















Deals in: Vermont
Looking for a ski, spa, and shopping weekend? Vermont has been promoting winter getaway deals for those who want to brave the cold weather. There are several popular places you can go- Killington, Stowe, Okemo- but I really enjoy Manchester, Vermont. For accommodations, there is nothing like Starwood's Equinox Resort. It has a spa, restaurants, and beautiful rooms. You can shop at the nearby Manchester village, go to the outlets, and go shopping for antiques. Or spend the day at Stratton mountain and practice your downhill skiing.  Another great option for accommodations is the Reluctant Panther Inn or the Inn at Manchester.


3 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Mel. If it weren't for girlfriend getaways, I never would've experienced Thailand or Cancun volume II or St. Louis or Chicago or WOW we have traveled a ton together! I'm ready for vacay 2010:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the sound of las vegas, never been there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine my life with our girls wknds and nights out!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails